Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Daily life in America is pretty easy.  You walk out your door, get in your car, and off you go.  Unless you live way out, you can find everything you need within a short drive, your choice of fast food restaurants, drugstores, etc.  Life in Russia just isn't so easy.   Yesterday I was talking with a Russian lady that I hope to develop a friendship with.   She has 2 young children, ages 2 & 4.   I told her that right now it is just difficult adjusting with 4 young children, finding groceries, getting around, etc.  But that God is good.  I told maybe with fewer children it is a little easier.  Her reply was, "No. It still isn't easy." And we are blessed that we can buy the groceries we need and have a nice apartment.  Many people only make around $500 a month salary.  Groceries cost as much as in America.  Clothes & toys cost more.  Of course, I haven't tapped into the local markets and don't have my own dacha to grow my own vegetables.  I realize that most Russians probably live a bit differently.

A few observations:  Cars are everywhere.  They are becoming more and more of the norm here for a middle class family.  You will still find as many or more people walking the streets with packages in hand or riding in an overcrowded bus or trolley bus to get to their destination.  Crossing the street is an exercise in faith by itself.  Although the country prides itself on its love of children and preference towards them, they don't pay much attention to little ones crossing the street.   The most friendly people we have met here were actually some Chinese businessmen who helped me cross the street one day when the crosslights were broken.   A  babushka (grandmother) here will scold the Mom or child who is doing wrong, but if the child is crying, that same babushka will pull out a piece of candy and give it to the child.  It doesn't matter the reason for crying.  So far, my youngest 2 have both received candy as a "reward" to their ill behavior.  I told them not to count on it from me.  

The kids are adjusting better than I expected to apartment & city life.  They are for the most part content playing in the apartment and enjoy playing in the "park" or courtyard playground each day.  It is quite a change from living in a neighborhood with few to no children to having a daily group of playmates to meet in their neighborhood play area.  Last night there must have been 20+ kids outside playing chase and many running around with swords and toy guns.    They all know we are the English speaking family.  Some of them will ask if the kids are speaking English.   Many of them know how to say "hello", but usually not much more.  I am very thankful to be able to speak and read Russian, even though I have much to learn.  I hope that before we leave Russia, the children will be translating for me rather than the other way around.

No comments: