Thursday, November 3, 2011

A day in our life...

This morning we didn't wake up until 8 because the sun didn't begin to rise until then, and my alarm clock (i.e. Hubby) isn't here to wake me up. His week long absence has proved exhausting, for me at least. The kids weren't all up until 8:30, and since detski sad begins at 8:30, we were of course already late. I fed them a quick breakfast, helped them dress in their layers of Fall clothing (which consists of tights, pants, turtleneck, sweater, coat, hat, mittens, scarf, and warm boots), and left the apartment. We looked for a taxi because at this point it was already 9:15, but were unsuccessful. So, we walked 2 blocks to a bus stop, got on the bus, rode several stops, got off and then walked 10 minutes to the kindergarten. By the time we arrived it was already 10 oclock. I then took a bus home, waited for C9 to finish his Russian lesson, and then went out again on a mission to find wool tights and wool mittens. Apparently, it is supposed to get "cold" next week. And have you seen wool mittens and stockings for sale in Alabama? So, after several shops, two bus rides, one trolleybus ride, and lots of walking, C9 and I had a bag of wool stockings and several pairs of wool mittens and were on our way to pick up the other kids from detski sad. Needless to say, after getting them all home again, I was fairly tired. Our Russian friends had earlier invited us to the woods for a picnic because of the nice weather, which translates into above freezing. So we spent the later part of the day playing along the beach of the Amur River, walking through the woods, and roasting hot dogs. By the way, they want to know why Americans call them hot dogs. Beats me; to be honest, I have never thought about it. One thing I do want to know though is whether Russians are deprived because they don't know what a s'more or marshmallow is? If I can find marshmallows here and make my own graham crackers, I will have to introduce the idea. That along with a few other things including syrup and chips and salsa. I don't know about you, but just writing this blog entry makes me ready for bed. So until next time, "Da Sveedanya".

a Russian trolley bus
the kids with friends along Amur River

Fall campfire

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Sounds like you accomplished an impressive amount today! They now have white marshmallows in Kiev. A few years ago they had pink and yellow striped ones, but those aren't too appetizing on a s'more :) I've seen recipes for homemade ones but never tried them