Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life gets busier

We have only been back in Russia since mid-October, and yet it seems like a lot longer.  So much has happened in these first couple weeks back than when we first arrived back in May.  We are pleased that things are beginning to come together, and we are feeling more settled.  The younger 3 children started "Detski Sad" or Russian kindergarten the week after we came back.  They are enrolled in a Montessori kindergarten and go every weekday through lunch.   Typically, Russian children go to Detski sad from the age of 3 until they turn 7, and most attend the entire day.  This was a compromise for me as I really wanted them to learn Russian but did not like the idea of having my children gone all day while I stayed at home.  My husband and acquaintances here all encouraged me to let them try it.  So far it has been a good experience although they don't always want to get up and go.  I can see that they have learned already some more Russian than they would have, especially C6.   They feed the children breakfast and lunch which is very typical of a kindergarten.  When they are picked up, they want a second lunch as the food portions are very meager.  Russian children typically go to 1st grade at the age of 7, and at that time they already know how to read and write.  So, their 1st grade is more akin to an American 2nd grade class.  They also go to school half days at least at the elementary level.  In the afternoons, the children have a choice of afternoon activities (which they pay for) at the school, or elsewhere or they go home.    We are looking into a school right now for our eldest mainly for the purposes of language acquisition.  He will still need to come home in the afternoons and have lessons in the subjects that he would not receive at a Russian school.   The schools are on a 1 week break now, and the director of the school is on vacation.  So, we will not know for sure until next month if they will even take him.

This month have also spent a lot of time with one particular Russian family with whom we have become acquainted.  They are a sweet family, sincere Orthodox Christians, with 3 small children (5 & under) and one teenage daughter.  With our American friends, we were able to visit a children's orphanage where school age children live.   I am hopeful that we will be able to begin a relationship with this or another orphanage and make regular visits.  The directors are not always eager to have Western visitors. A lot of this has to do with the fact that they are afraid we might be prosletyzing.  I am not sure about the rest of Russia, but the Far East is skeptical of non-Orthodox groups and often frowns upon them.  Again, this is an area about which I am learning.   God gave me an idea about talking to one of the orphanage directors about a knitting class for some of the girls.   How fun would it be to pass along my newly learned knitting skill to some Russian orphans to whom this would be a very useful craft.    I'll let you know if this leads anywhere.

Hubby is presently in St. Petersburg, which if you look on the map is on the opposite side of the country in European Russia.  He told me I wasn't allowed to go visit because I might never go back.  Apparently it is a very beautiful city.    With him being gone a week, I am appreciative of all he does to help us here.    Like the fact that I have no water right now because the water delivery service didn't come last night, and so I will have to hike to the store for water tonight.  Or that he drives the kids to Detski sad and picks them, so I am having to take a bus and walk with them to kindergarten there and back each day.   Of course, this is how most Russian people live.  Just today I was watching all the babushkas walking down the street amidst pot-hole sidewalks waiting for buses, hauling food and supplies with their cold-weather gear on.  I sat behind an older woman in the bus with crooked fingers and what looked like arthritis.  Another elderly lady was running to the bus only to find the doors close before she was able to get on.  There were several young mothers carrying their babies wrapped up on snow suits like a bundle through the streets.  It is not an easy life - the freezing climate nor the lifestyle.  But these people are survivors.  If they all knew how we middle-class Americans lived, they would probably think we were all wimps.    I don't hear them complaining though; it is just their life. 

No comments: