Sunday, May 22, 2011

Things I take (took) for granted

Scotch tape
Ground beef
Aluminum foil
Ziploc baggies
Windex
Organic milk
Wal-mart
Fresh fruits & veggies easily available year-round
Envelopes
Michaels & Hobby Lobby
our car
Chick-fil-A 

Just a few things that I took for granted in the States but don't come easily or perhaps at all here in Far East Russia. 

Along the lines of the last list item, don't try fast food in Russia. Well, it wasn't my idea.  But we met up with some new friends who took us to one of the only local fast-food restaurants in town called the "Golden Bird".   You guessed it - a fast-food chicken restaurant.  It doesn't really have a comparison  in the States, so I won't even make the attempt.  As far as I am concerned, I don't ever need to go back.   I'm just thankful I we didn't have food poisoning afterwards.  Hubby says that Far East Russia has effectively kept out all Western fast-food chains which have made their way across Western Europe (i.e.  McDonalds, Starbucks, and probably several others).    With the exception of Starbucks (which I wouldn't mind), it's not a bad thing!


No comments: